Business as usual...for the time being.
I did learn that my first book, Dragonfly Warrior, is now scheduled for publication in October of this year. Hopefully there will be no more delays, and things work out for the best. For now, my publisher is moving full steam ahead.
This blog is a funny place, as there's really no central theme to it. I blogged about funny science stories for nearly six years. Oh, and August 3rd will be my EIGHTH YEAR BLOGIVERSARY. Crazy, huh? Anyhoo, these days, all kinds of stuff turn up on here.
I've blogged about the paranormal, writing, movies, music, and other weird stuff. Out of all the things I blog about, I really don't talk much about my own writing. So I just wanted to share that with you on this post.
My debut novel is titled, Dragonfly Warrior. It's the first book in my Mechanica Wars series. If I had to describe the genre, I'd call it in science-fantasy. It's Asian-inspired steampunk with some fantasy elements hovering in the background. Many of you know that I'm a big steampunk fan. But I started working on this book long before I knew there was even such a term. I grew up reading HG Wells and Jules Verne, so naturally I'm inspired by those kinds of stories in my own writing.
So in my series, you will find:
1) Lots of fun steampunk-goodness. Flying machines, steam cars, trains, tanks, and mechas.
2) Samurai warriors
4) Pirates (at sea, on land, and even in the air)
5) Gunslingers and pistoleers, mercenaries and privateers (yes, I did make that sing-songy on purpose)
6) Alternative history
7) Tons of action, interwoven subplots, and a bunch of literary elements (it's my English degree coming to the surface)
8) Influences from: Asian, Greek, and Arthurian mythology, some Shakespeare, Star Wars, Full Metal Alchemist, Seven Samurai, and of course, tons of Verne and Wells
I've always believed in the mantra that you should write what you love. And that's what I did. For better or for worse.
An amazing artist by the name of Enggar Adirasa is illustrating a few scenes from Dragonfly Warrior to be used in a book trailer and other promotional materials, so I wanted to share the sketches with you. Eventually (hopefully soon), they will be finalized and in color. Mr. Adirasa also did my cover, which is done except for the typesetting. Can't wait to do a cover reveal in the Fall!
|Steam powered airships baby!|
|Cheng, a pirate leaping into the air, versus my protagonist, Zenjiro|
|Airship Captain Enapay. His tribe is located in what we'd call "America" today. Isn't alternative history fun?|