It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month.
Publishing my debut novel in December has been an incredible learning experience. Some cool things that happened since then:
1) Dragonfly Warrior went as high as #39 on Amazon's Best Seller's List for Science Fiction/Steampunk
2) I got to hand deliver personalized and signed paperbacks of my book to old friends. It was great to visit with some people that I haven't seen in a long time
3) My book was put on the shelves of a great bookstore here in town
4) My kids have been incredibly proud of me. This one has affected me the most. My youngest got a betta fish for Christmas, and he named his new pet after one of my characters!
But, when there's highs, there's also lows in this business.
1) After all my friends/family bought, nobody else did. My rankings dropped faster than the temperature from the polar vortex slamming into the Midwest
2) I worry constantly what everyone thinks of my book. Just the old fears and insecurities tend to resurface every one in awhile
3) I didn't prepare very well for the marketing/promotional side of all of this, so I'm scrambling to get some of that put in place
4) I've got some lofty goals this year - namely to finish THREE big projects. I lose sleep wondering if I've set the bar too high for myself
The big thing I've got going for me is all of your support. Your comments and emails have been my crutch. My outlook is also brighter after one of you reaches out to me to offer some encouragement and a helping hand.
So a big THANK YOU from me to you. 2014 is going to be a great year, and I look forward to continuing on this adventure.